Monday, September 19, 2011

So this is my first official blog post....bear with me!

Hey friends and family,
Here is my story and this will be my continuing story of my life with breast cancer....Some of you may have heard this story already, but I thought I should start at the beginning, some parts and my ramblings will be left out so I don't bore yall.
On August 29th, 2011 I was scheduled to have a routine Pap Smear with my OB/GYN doctor.  I got there on time, and had to wait at least 45 minutes to see my doctor.  Once, I saw my doctor.  He pretty much told me that since I had had a Pap Smear the previous year, that I was not due for one for another two years.  Apparently, my age group only requires paps every 3 years.  I was like, "dude, I shaved and freshened up for you."  "You gotta do something so I don't feel like I am wasting my time."  He laughed and we kept chatting.  I was like, no really do something.  I asked him to refer me to get a baseline mammogram.  He was like, Marsha you don't need it.  You are 37, you have no risk factors, etc, etc.  I told him I would feel better if I got something out of the appointment, because I felt like I had wasted my time that morning.  He gives me a referral sheet, tells me not to rush.  I immediately go home and make a call, and get an appt for that Thursday. Let me just say, I am not a hypochondriac, I just was trying to be productive.  I have  my mammo on that Thursday.  I get called the following Tuesday, because they saw "shadows" . I was asked to come back in Sept 8th.    The Rad tech who was so much fun the first appointment was with me the 2nd one.  I could tell she knew something was not right.  I asked her what the hell was wrong and why was everyone being so serious with me.  She told me that their was a "nasty" looking nodule on my film and we needed to figure it out what it was.   Repeat mammo done.  First ultrasound done that day.  My US tech was not nearly as fun as Jenny my mammo girl.  I saw the nodule on the screen, and asked for the measurements, and she told me pretty quickly that she would not be able to tell me one thing.  (I knew she was covering her butt, but seriously I worked in a hospital for 12 years, I knew that nodule was not pretty.)  Fast forward 10 minutes, the doctor comes in.  I asked what he saw when he looks at my US, he said a nodule.  I then asked, OK, in your experience what does that kind of nodule usually mean.  And he said ever so seriously, Marsha it means you have cancer.  I was not expecting that at all.  I was by myself and the only thing keeping me from freaking out was the piece of gum I was chewing with all of my might to keep myself together.  That C word is UGLY, and as a person that has heard it 3 times too many, I think I have had enough of it in my life.   So, I then asked him in his experience what percent chance he thought I had cancer without a biopsy.  He told me I was putting him up against a wall, I told him I just wanted to know what I was facing. I asked him was it like a 75% chance?  He then again in his serious voice and face, said No Marsha, it much higher than that.  So I am what they call a Category 5 on the BIRADS scale, which means a greater than 95% chance of malignancy.  I have had 5 doctors look at my films within that first week, and they all concur that yes indeed, I have breast cancer.  It is a lovely 15 x 10 x 8 mm nodule, which is considered big.  I have had too many appointments and other things go on.  But of note, my family practice doc helped me pick my oncologist out last week.  My Gyn picked out my surgeon, so I hope I am in good hands.  I had a Stereotactic biopsy done last Thursday, the results were suppose to be in today.  I have not heard anything from that.  I have an appt with my surgeon this upcoming Wednesday, and I have an appt with my oncologist this Thursday.  I am pretty sure, I will KNOW exactly what I am in store for after those appts.

5 comments:

  1. Love to all the Crums as you all approach the future with courage and boldness. You are in the Moncol prayers every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the support of your friends and family, there is nothing that you cannot accomplish. For one, this brother loves you more than words can express and will be there every step of the way as you journey along a difficult road that is only there to challenge you and make you fight, but when all is said and done...to make you stronger. You have my heart always, my love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kick butt mentality is impressive and in true Marsha style. I love your boldness with sharing your experience and I'm sure many feel the same. Your courage to take this head on with humor, sincerity and raw reaction is incredible. You will be in my thoughts and prayers and know that even in minnesota we are rooting for you to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha,
    I read all this on my phone, but I can see it soo much better on the desktop.
    So, I have this to add. You are an inspiration. You are soooo going to kick this cancer straight in the ass!!!
    And per our conversation the other day, You are THE PRINCESS!!! Tui is right.
    People want to be around you... they gravitate to you. Why? Because you are real. You don't sugar coat anything. You are kind. You are an awesome mama and an awesome friend.
    FTP!!!
    Much Love!

    ReplyDelete