Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The six words you want to hear when you have breast cancer..

And those words are....Marsha, your cancer is Stage I.  So in the cancer world, hearing the words Stage I is a pretty big relief. (My official diagnosis is, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with DCIS, Stage I.) 

I am a major numbers person.  I have friends that call me RainWoman for that very reason.  So here is the breakdown for my fellow number lovers :)

I hope I am not breaking any laws, but I got the below information from a certain, Breast Cancer for Dummies book....(another fact, I love to buy a book for any reason.)

"If you've been diagnosed with Stage I breast cancer, your chances of survival are wonderful.  They're 98 percent, which means that 98 percent of the women with this diagnosis have survived at least five years......I know the fear doesn't go away instantly, but at least you know that your odds of beating this disease is extremely high." 

So let's everyone go step outside and do a little happy dance for me, because that is pretty kick butt news!

I have a few decisions to make. The options really put me between a rock and a hard place.

Option 1 Breast conservation therapy
This entails a lumpectomy, better recovery time.  Add in 6 weeks of radiation and chemo and I will be on my way.  Risks as per the doc that she mentioned were breast deformity.

Option 2 Mastectomy
This entails the obvious (not really sure I have to spell everything out for yall) and the probability of me having to do radiation is unlikely, but chemo will be a must.

My regular doctor called me yesterday, and we talked for a while. I, of course, was being me bombarding him with the, WTH do I do questions.  He told me that when I see my surgeon on Wednesday, (today) NOT to make any decisions, until I talked to my Oncologist on Thursday.  He told me I will like the O doc, because is in a very statistical person, and he has a awesome bedside manner, and I am the kind of person that needs that. 

I also told Dr Cefalu, my family practice doctor, that I probably need him to call Dr Wehbie, my new oncologist, I want Dr W to hear from Dr C that I am on no MEDS whatsoever, and that I am QUITE sane, and that my personality is all ME and not drug induced, lol!  It is pretty safe to say, that I have quite a personality, that I THINK most people find charming :)  But I sure don't want this new doc, not to get me, my personality, or my jokes, or my sometimes unlady like pottymoutth....Dr C thinks I will be just fine with Dr W, which is why he chose him for me....

So, I know that most of you are behind me with whatever I decide, and I have heard from lots that Option 2 would be what you would decide.  I appreciate all the advice yall are giving me, because EACH and EVERYONE of you bring different something to the table.  Which may make me think about things I would not have thought about......

Much love people!

Also, for whatever reason, I can't comment on your post replies.  Laney, my blog tutor should be coming over today, and teach me what to do.  I may need to create a google account, which I am going to try now.  So, I am reading your responses, I just can't let you know that I am :)

2 comments:

  1. Marsha...
    I don't know if you know this about me or not, but I used to fit mastectomy patients with bras and prosthetic boobies.... This was 13 plus years ago at the Orthotic and Prosthetic shop my ex worked at.
    Anyway, having seen these women and their dissatisfaction about they way they LOOKED after such a traumatic event, I believe that if I were in your shoes, I would choose a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.
    I have a friend who did this all in one procedure and her results were fantastic.
    I am super glad that you are stage 1. Buffy is sooo gonna get her ass handed to her! Stupid head. Who did she think she was messing with?? You would think she would have talked to some of her 'friends' before deciding to mess with YOU!!!!
    Those are just my 2 cents worth.
    Once again, I am thankful and happy that you are good.
    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin had a voluntary double mastectomy and reconstruction at the age of 40, before any signs of cancer, because every female adult on her mother's side over the age of 40 had had breast cancer, and she was told she would almost certainly get it too. She has never regretted her decision - the breast cancer worry is completely gone from her life now. But it is still a big decision to take......

    ReplyDelete