Thursday, September 22, 2011

My life on paper as a diagram...

I met my new Oncologist today, I have to say I like the man.  I like the way he approaches things, I mean the man diagramed my treatment plan on graph paper.  That almost equals immediate love.  He layed the facts out very clearly. 

The man point blank told me I did not need a M, and after looking at all the "GOOD" things about my cancer I am going to trust and go along with what he has to say.  He is the expert.  I feel good about my decision.

With that being said, I am going for the Lumpectomy with a to go order of radiation.  He is not sure if I  will need chemo as of yet, until my sentinal node biopsy of my lymph nodes has been done, which will be done during surgery.  Once that biopsy is back and whether that is negative or positive that will lead the way down my treatment path.

Treatment Path A
A negative SNB will then mean I need a Oncogenes testing  to test for the genes that cause cancer
If my Oncogene testing is negative then that means No Chemo (hooray) and then I will begin Radiation therapy, and hormone therapy.  This testing takes about 2 weeks to get back.

If my Oncogene testing is positive then that means Yes to Chemo (booooo), and then Radiation, and then hormone therapy.

Treatment Path B
A positive SNB will equal chemo + radiation  + hormonal agent. (because this means I have cancer in my lymph nodes)

So at the very least, I am going to be doing radiation and hormones.

Sorry to bore you with all the medical stuff, but seriously if I get it our here for yall to read, yall are more informed when I see or talk to yall.

Bright points of the day.  Dr Wehbie said that if he were going to choose a breast cancer to have, that mine would be the one to have.  He is very positive that this will go away and I wil be just fine.  He also felt like that a Mastectomy was not necessary for me.  I think he was trying to tell me that Buffy although she is a cancer, she was a runt of one, and that a lumpectomy would serve me fine.

Another highlight of the day, he had a needlepoint framed pic on the wall that was made by a Paula Vick from Nash County, I thought that was pretty funny that Nash County was being represented in the Rex Cancer Center of Wakefield :)  Any of my RM peeps know her?

He also made a MC's List
And it was filled with "positive" things concerning Buffy.  She is - HER2 (medical jargon, for I am negative for fast growing cancer cells receptors, when I was tested)
I am also ER positive (which means my estrogen receptors will respond to meds to block cancer growing cells).  My actual tumor is small.

I know that we all have stories of friends with breast cancer and the different choices they made.  For me and my story, I am choosing the lumpectomy and I am pretty sure things are going to be just fine.  I appreciate the support, and everyone's love and friendship. 

Surgery is scheduled for 10/4
Follow up with Dr Wehbie on 10/12 so I can find out my treatment plan.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you feel good about your oncologist and your decision. The needlepoint has to be a sign that you're in the right place. Love you, girl.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo my friend! You have made a choice and it is perfect for you. No doubt that this Buffy is getting her butt kicked.

    Seriously, what a blessing that you felt moved to request the mammo and it was caught early? All of your posts have been full of positive, factual information. Have you thought about a book? LOL You are a hero to us all...you had a good role model :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Choice, you are so going to kick this cancer's butt!

    ReplyDelete