Thursday, October 27, 2011

Eating Nabs and having a Diet Dew for breakfast is a BAD thing

Hi all,
I had yet another exciting needle filled day over at DUMC today. 

We got to Duke on time at 8:30 this morning.  Bart and I were armed with our books and iPads in anticipation of the wait that you always have at Duke, affectionally know as DukeTime.

I was able to catch up on emails and my calendar which is a huge task. 

By this time, it was around 9:30 and I had not eaten yet.  I sent Bart to get me something to snack on, he came back with nabs and a DMD.  I was still eating when the RN came to get me.  I had just put a cracker in my mouth, and made a joke about me talking to her with my mouth full, and that I was sorry.  She immediately, asked "you are eating?" 

(I am thinking, yeah can't you see the orange crumbs that are likely on my chin? Or the big ol DMD I am carrying, because I am never without one of those) 

She then told me I was scheduled for surgery.  I told her as far as I knew the only torture I was up for was my biopsies that day. 

I then spoke to another RN...blah, blah, blah!  So the misunderstanding was, that I was scheduled for my Power Port today, and that what I thought was my Power Port appointment on Tuesday is in fact my Muga scan.  (The Muga scan evaluates heart damage.  I have a healthy heart now, but I need to get a baseline Muga done, because the heart and the Chemo I am going to be doing are not very good friends.  That Chemo biotch ain't called the Red Devil for nothing)

So moving on, I had my breast MRI with Biopsies done today around 1130.  I was on that table for at least an hour and half if not more.  Initially, the "kids" I mean the extremely young looking doctors told me that they thought they were going to potentially be taking at least 36 biopsies today.  I will let you fill in the blank, what I was think.  HOLY------------! 

I asked for Valium for the MRI, the baby docs were hesitant, I quickly told them that I was not the kind of girl that can sit/lay still for 8 mins which is the time span of some of the pics/views they have to get. 

I had at least six 5 minute scans today, which they are OFTEN telling you not move.

It is so hard to lay still.  Everything itches, your nose suddenly has a bat in the cave, hair that was securely up in a ponytail now is falling out and tickling your cheek, your neck, you have to pee so bad even if you had just gone right before the scan, etc etc.

Keep in mind they are squishing the hell out of me, and also inserting 6 inch needles into me multiply times.   

If they could tell you not to breathe they would. (I dare you to try it at home, it ain't easy.  I am not really a complainer, but I think the Valium helped calm my mind down.)

I am uncomfortable to say the least after today.  They only took 5 biopsies, they think what they are seeing is a fibercystic mass on my right side. 

So I am back home, just got in from Tao Kwon Do with Chaser, as soon as Bart gets home.  I am going to find some really comfy jammies to put on.  And fall out for the day.

Side note funnies,

I am not suppose to take a shower or a bath for 48 hrs.  For real people?  The PTA bath does not work!

I now have more "metal" in my body.  I can't wait to go thru airport security.  The count is up to 2 Titanium clips and a Copper IUD that I had to get switched over yesterday.  (If that is too much information, SORRY)  But as Sara K, Chad and Jeff B were discussing last night, we think it will be quite a show the first time I get "wanded" thru security...lol 

Thanks to Donna and Tui for carting my kids to school and back for me!  It really is a HUGE help. A big thank you to Linda and Beth for bring grub over tonight for us.

So things on the agenda next week

Monday the 31st, I will be having surgery to get the Power Port in.  (I may actually have Chemo this day, I will know then.)

Tuesday the 1st, I will be having a Muga Scan, and I am thinking Chemo this day, too.

4 comments:

  1. I am tired just reading this. Continued prayers chicky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each time I read your post, I read them in "your" voice, and although they are of a serious nature, I hear your humor. I love you, and thank you for keeping everyone informed during your journey through heroism. Remember, you have the best bro in the world here backing you up! You need, I take care of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know these posts always make me cry...but the PTA made me smile...if you will remember a similar conversation we had a few years ago about how long it takes to get ready :) love you and still praying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LIFTING YOU IN PRAYER!!

    ReplyDelete