Saturday, December 3, 2011

Just when you think you have your shizzle figured out

Hello all,
I don't have alot of time, but I thought I would give yall the basics of what I found out this week.
I had genetics testing done a few weeks ago to see if I was positive for the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene. 

And lo and behold I tested positive for the BRCA2 gene. 

So what does this mean...basically, 3 of my exon's are replicated on my gene chain.  This is hereditary and was passed down to me.  Those 3 little cells is what has caused my cancer. 

LONG STORY short...I am skipping all of the genetics mumbo jumbo for now and actually maybe forever, it does not make for good fun reading...

If I continue on my same treatment plan knowing my genetics results, my breast cancer will have a 50% chance of coming back.  Even after all of this CRAP. 

The good news in all this is there always a plan B.  The plan B a double mastectomy which will decrease my chances of the cancer coming back by 90%.    I have questioned why the heck  we didn't do this in the beginning.

But with the information I had then, the treatment plan we chose then was the correct path for me then.

The best I can sorta get from the docs is, you don't treat a cut on your finger with an amputation.  And in the scheme of things, they really try to not have to do mastectomies unless it is the last resort. 

Dumb moment at Duke yesterday--

ME on phone with Duke surgery office--Yes, I want to have plastics scheduled for a consult, when I come back in February to schedule my other surgeriers.  I found out my BRCA2 results and they are positive and I don't want to waste anytime getting plastics involved, so I can keep my treatment plan moving along.

Family practionioner--So you want plastics involved?  You want a mastectomy?

ME-Ummmm, correct me if I am wrong, but because I am positive for this gene, I have a 50% chance of the cancer coming back, unless I get a mastectomy which reduces my risk to 90% chance of it not coming back.

FP--Yes, those numbers are correct.

ME--Yeah, those numbers make my desicion pretty clear.

Duhhh to myself!!!

So, we will work out what I need to do with my ovaries at a later date.  The BRCA2 gene causes an increase in ovarian cancer.  So whether, I get them removed or take medication, I need to research and figure it out.

I am sorta getting the feeling of being chopped away piece by piece...I really am taking this whole Buffy thing in stride, I definitely have had my days.  But I get that she is mine to own, and I can't really change things.

And again, I am just thankful, that I am strong enough to take this on....and that it is not one my sweet little boys.  Again, mommies have those super powers to get thru anything :)

2 comments:

  1. You rock, sis! I have never met anyone stronger. My hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha,
    I'm not sure that my post went through! Here it is again.
    I just want you to know that Jerry raved at how great you looked at DRES's Art Show.
    You are truly an inspiration of courage, strength, and humor to us all!
    I am hoping to meet Julie and Sharon when they take the boys out for a day of fun (Frankies, Pullen Park??). I know you have a great support system, and I would love to be a part. Anything, anytime...just ask.
    Much Love, Mary Ann Glick

    ReplyDelete