Thursday, November 10, 2011

So what is this Chemo thing all about

Hey yall,
I have had a ton of people ask me how my 1st chemo went.  I thought I would give yall a time line of what I experienced.

I had Chemo on Tuesday, and was feeling pretty good during the treatment.  As soon as Bart and I are packing up to go.  A headache hits me like no other.  You have to understand, I take maybe 4 Advils a year.  I never get headaches...The headache is obviously medicine related, because goodness gracious they were pumping my body with all kinds of poisons. 

We go home, I go to bed for a few hours.  (I am able to get up that night, and have Braeden and Chaser read to me. Which for the whole chemo time, I am able to have them to that with them)

After they go to bed around 745, I hit the hay again and end up sleeping a full 15 hrs.  I am guestimating that I slept around 18 hours both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Wednesday, I had to go back to Duke to get a shot to increase my WBC count.
My major symptoms that day were extreme exhaustion, and the whole time I was awake,  I was nauseaus and my mouth had that watery feeling like when you are pregnant.  I was able to hit the Target with Bart before my appointment to get a few things we needed.  So I was up and out and about, like a living zombie I would say :)

On Thursday, the few hours that I was up, I had a few friends stop in, and I was able to visit with them for and hour or so.   My major symptoms that day was more exhaustion, and the whole time I was awake,  I had major stomach cramps, girls you know what I am talking about. 

Never fear though, me and the girls were able to do some online shopping from my bed for some special chicks around here with birthdays, lol!

I did shed a few tears this day because even if you are only up for a few hours on Chemo the days FEEL so long, and you wonder how you will get thru them. 

On Friday, I was going to have to be in full mama mode, Bart had to work. I was still feeling like crap, tired, tired. 
As I was sitting in carpool, I almost lost it.  You feel SOOOOOO BADDDD and SOOOOO tired.  I wasnt sure how in the world I would get thru entertaining 3 boys with the rain outside....I appreciate the offers from Roger and Tui to go get the kids, but I really feel like if I can do it, I NEED to do it. 

Had offers from neighbors, that they would pick the boys up food for me that night.  Was glad about that, I couldn't even imagine where the energy was going to come from to clean the kitchen if I did cook. 
So lets fast forward to around 6 pm.....

For whatever reason, I am not complaining, it was like a switch!  Seriously, some of yall probably saw my facebook post.  It really was as if someone, turned me back into normal Marsha. It truly was craziness.  I felt COMPLETELY LIKE ME.  So since last Friday at 6pm, I have been feeling great and normal!

I am on an every other Wednesday chemo schedule, my next one is due on 11/16/11.  I honestly am not looking forward to it.  I know I will get thru it, but it's not really any fun. My brother Jeremy called me the other day, and we both laughed about how "Yeah, nobody says this chemo crap is fun"...Kinda like when you have a new baby, nobody EVER says you are going to be get lots of rest :)

I hope that my regimen does make me any sicker than what I was last week.  Also, I talked to my nurse at Duke, she said that they started me out at the highest Chemo dose for me.  So this means they will not increase my Chemo dose, and that usually most patients will experience the same Chemo effects each treatment, just add in more fatigue. 

I really am quite ok with sleeping for 72 hours, but I am not sure how I would get my 12 glasses of water in a day that I am suppose to drink to flush the Chemo thru my body and so it doesn't sit in my bladder and damage it.  TWELVE glasses, I am usually a 1 glass a day kind of girl.  But I would like to tell Beth Farner, thank you for introducing me to Mio, that stuff is awesome!  Beth, also brought me and fun Mullet cup to try to get all of my water down :)

More fun gifts last week, Clare made me my very own "Flat Steven Tyler's"  think of the childhood story books Flat Stanley!  SO funny and fun to hang with Steven!  Also Clare, got me the coolest shirt that says "Battle Mode"  I am totally going to use that next week during chemo.

Sara K, thanks so much for the PURPLE 32oz BPA free cup, to help me chug my water, and also getting me some Mio.  (Her and Beth obviously have great minds!)

Tracy and Lisa for getting me the Get-Well buttons!  They make me smile BIG :)   I <3 Pain Meds, the nurse's favorite, Chemo Sucks, One Tough Chick.....

I Love You people,
Marsha

1 comment:

  1. Marsha-
    I have to say, you are handling this whole cancer thing like you handle everything else. Amazing. Honest. No holds barred. YOU, my friend, are simply amazing!!!
    I appreciate your openness and willingness to share on your blog.
    Love you bunches!!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete